The throat chakra or Vishudda is connected to our ability to communicate, to self-expression of feelings and to the truth. Physically, Vishuddha governs communication, emotionally it governs independence, mentally it governs fluent thought, and spiritually, it governs a sense of security.
Location: at the throat
Colour: light blue
If your Throat Chakra is open and functioning, you are good at voicing out your thoughts, ideas and emotions. You have great will power and outstanding communication skills; you will speak the truth, no matter how uncomfortable it may be. Your whole life is richer because you are willing to speak out for all the things you believe in.
If your Throat Chakra is closed, you feel like nobody cares about your opinions, and that you have nothing of value to say. You will be the ‘quiet one’ in your career and social circles, and you will follow other people’s opinions as you cannot voice your own. You will suffer from throat infections, flu and blocked sinus, your thyroid maybe out of balance and your jaw and mouth may suffer from infections. For women there may be PMS, hormonal disorders and menopausal issues. When the throat chakra is over-active, you will talk too much and not allow others to voice their opinion, you will dominate others and not have many listening skills.
So how do we enhance this very important chakra?
- Sing out loud, join a choir, read poetry to an audience, write your thoughts down or have long and deep conversations.
- Bring blue into your life, at home with ornaments and decor or wear blue jewellery and clothes.
- Listen to repetitive music like ocean waves
- Use essential oils like geranium or mint
- Carry blue gemstones including sapphire and lapis lazuli
If you want to open this chakra here is a simple meditation to get you started –
- If possible sit comfortably with your legs crossed on the floor, if this not possible find a comfortable upright chair and sit on that.
- Concentrate for a few minutes on the floor beneath yourself and feel at one with it. Then concentrate on your breathing in and out.
- Cross your fingers on the inside of your hands, without the thumbs. Let the thumbs touch at the tops, and pull them up a bit. Place this shape on the base of your throat and concentrate on the meanings of the throat chakra.
- Silently chant the word HAM while concentrating still on the throat chakra.
- Imagine the blockages in your throat chakra leaving your body via your feet and continue until you feel clean and about to say what you need to.
- Slowly come back into the room and clear your throat when fully awake