The Sacral chakra or Swadisthana is related to the genitourinary system and the adrenals. The key issues involving Swadisthana are relationships, violence, addictions, basic emotional needs, and pleasure. Physically, Swadisthana governs reproduction, mentally it governs creativity, emotionally it governs joy, and spiritually it governs enthusiasm.
The Sacral chakra is your sensing chakra, connecting you to your feeling and emotions. It is the centre that allows you to live in the “now” and links you to your enthusiasm, happiness and joy and that all important inner-child.
Located: Below navel, lower abdomen
If your Sacral Chakra is opening and fully functioning, you will see sex in positively. You enjoy passionate, frequent and long-lasting love-making with your partner. Orgasms are mind-blowing, and you and your partner often orgasm at the same moment. You make time to have sex even if you’ve been married or attached to the same person for years. You are always able to attract the right partners who empower you, fill you with joy and make you a better person. However if this chakra is over active you may tend to be emotional and become easily emotionally attached to people.
If your Sacral Chakra is closed, you associate guilt and pain with sex. You rarely have the time or inclination to be sexual, and when you do, it’s half hearted. You and your partner rarely orgasm at the same time, and there may be sexual issues within your relationship. You struggle to see yourself as ‘sexy’, and wonder why anyone would desire you. You often pick partners who are incompatible with you and have given up on finding the one. Physically and mentally you can suffer from eating disorders, addiction, depression, low back pain, asthma, yeast infections and urinary problems. There may also be issues around sex including impotency and frigidity.
So how do we boost this chakra?
- Wear orange clothes, jewellery and makeup, add orange to your home in decorates or ornaments
- Eat orange food and drink orange drinks (oranges, peppers etc)
- Use essential oils such as Mandarin, Neroli, Tangerine
- Find music that flows and makes you emotional
- Take aromatic baths or take up aqua aerobics, find books and films that make your emotions flow.
- Carry orange gems like coral
If you want to open this chakra here is a simple meditation to get you started –
- If possible sit comfortably with your legs crossed on the floor, if this not possible find a comfortable upright chair and sit on that.
- Concentrate for a few minutes on the floor beneath yourself and feel at one with it. Then concentrate on your breathing in and out.
- Concentrate on the scaral chakra and what it stands for – navel
- Lay your hands in your lap, palms ups, on top of each other. Left hand underneath, the palm touching the back fingers of the right hand, and the thumbs touch gently. Making a circle with your hands. Feel this circle you have made on your sacral chakra
- Silently chant VAM
- All this time stay relaxed, still thinking about the chakra, it’s meaning, and how it affects your life.
- Stay with the feeling for as long as you want, then become aware of your breathing again, then the noises in the room and slowly move and open your eyes. Thank your chakra for showing itself to you and repeat this mediation until you feel the change you require