The root chakra or Muladhara represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded. It’s responsible for the fight-or-flight response when we’re threatened and is related to instinct, security and survival. Physically, Muladhara governs sexuality, mentally it governs stability, emotionally it governs sensuality, and spiritually it governs a sense of security.
The root chakra is where your energy is stored and it is connected to your physical vitality and mental perseverance and it is where your passion for life comes from. As it acts to keep you grounded it is also your connection with your existence.
Location: Base of the spine
If your root chakra is open and functioning you will have a career you love and get rewarded for being so outstanding. You will have a skill at dealing with and making money and there will be no guilt attached to it! You will have close friends and always feel loved. You will look in the mirror and feel positive about what you see; you will love your body, emotions and intellect. However if it’s over-active you may become greedy and unable to deal with change.
If your root chakra is closed you tend to get stuck in jobs that do not fulfil you in any way, and money slips through your fingers, which leaves you worried and in debt. You fear spending money as you simply cannot budget. You suffer from weight or body issues, which have impacts on your self esteem. Health wise you may suffer from anaemia, tiredness, sciatica, depression, get many colds, cold hands and cold feet.
So how do we boost and open this chakra?
- Eat red foods and consume red drinks (tomatoes, red peppers, red wine etc).
- Use essential oils such as sandalwood, ylang ylang or juniper.
- Find stimulating music that make you want to move! The deeper the beat the more it will help you boost this chakra
- Carry red gemstones like Red Tiger’s Eye, Garnet, Red Jasper or Ruby.
- Wear red in jewellery, clothing or make-up. Add red to your home either in decor or pictures.
- Get some exercise a walk or yoga or the gym
- If possible sit comfortably with your legs crossed on the floor, if this not possible find a comfortable upright chair and sit on that.
- Concentrate for a few minutes on the floor beneath yourself and feel at one with it. Then concentrate on your breathing in and out.
- Concentrate on the Root chakra and what it stands for – on the base of the spine
- Silently, yet clearly, chant LAM
- All this time stay relaxed, still thinking about the chakra, it’s meaning, and how it affects your life.
- Imagine a closed red flower at the base of your spine, now imagine a red energy emanating from the flower, and now watch as it opens showing your four petals of pure energy.
- Stay with the flower for as long as you want, then become aware of your breathing again, then the noises in the room and slowly move and open your eyes. Thank your chakra for showing itself to you and repeat this mediation until you feel the change you require