The heart chakra is naturally connected to our ability to love. Anahata involves emotions, compassion, tenderness, unconditional love, rejection and well-being. Physically Anahata governs circulation, emotionally it governs unconditional love for the self and others, mentally it governs passion, and spiritually it governs devotion.
Location: in the middle of the chest
If your Heart Chakra is open and fully functioning, you will enjoy comfortable, loving and empathic relationships throughout your life. You get along with your family. You will be reliable and a great shoulder to lean on. You will be well aware that you have so much to be grateful for in life and feel compassion for all around you.
If your Heart Chakra is closed, you will sabotage your relationships using distrust, anger, be afraid that you will lose your freedom and independence if you lean on someone too much. You will be scared of commitment, have frequent fights or misunderstandings with your loved ones, and always be ready to be ‘hurt’ within a relationship. If this chakra is over-active, you will love to the point of suffocation and be very selfish in your relationships. Physically you may suffer from heart conditions, issues with breathing and associated chest pains, high blood pressure, tension and immune system problems.
A few tips to open and energise this chakra are –
- Spend time with people you love, do thing you love and involve yourself in love – e.g. read romantic novels or watch old fashioned romantic films.
- Eat and drink green food and drink – lime juice, cucumber etc.
- Get close to nature – take walks, listen to nature soundtracks, gardening etc.
- Add green to your life – decor, clothing and jewellery (emerald, peridot etc)
- Use essential oils like eucalyptus, mint and
If you want to open this chakra here is a simple meditation to get you started –
• If possible sit comfortably with your legs crossed on the floor, if this not possible find a comfortable upright chair and sit on that.
- Place your forefingers and thumbs from each hand together and form a heart shape. Place the heart shape over your heart.
- Concentrate on the heat chakra and what love means to you, feel the heart chakra open up and fill your whole body with a green loving light.
- Silently chant the word YAM
- Continue to think about what love means to you and feel it’s warm surround you. Once you are fully relaxed feel the heart chakra becoming clean and wide open.
- Come back into the room once you are content your heart chakra is radiating your love.